Our Lady of the Lake Altar Servers is open to girls and boys in 5th grade through 12th grade. Our mission is to impart the meaning of the Mass to volunteer servers so that they may grow in their faith, service and reverence for the Mass. Training usually takes place in August/Early September. Over the year we have 2 – 3 reflection times on a specific meaning or aspect of the Mass. Our Mass schedules are set up annually and reminders are sent out weekly to participants. Outside of serving at Mass we plan an annual field trip and have a Thank you Mass in June. At Holiday times, Christmas, Lent and Easter we look for volunteers.
Kadee Kreiger (9am Mass Captain) 985-373-4361
Amy Drez (10:30 am Mass captain) 504-401-3543
To bring the gospel message to our 3 – 8 year old children during the Liturgy of the Word at Mass. The children are escorted to a classroom during the Liturgy of the Word where volunteers present activity sheets and a children’s version of the gospel. The children are then escorted back into Mass during the offertory. Parent volunteers are asked to assist and lead the Children’s liturgy. We work in teams for lesson leaders and volunteers. All volunteers must go through “safe environment” training.
Jeff Harris 504-722-5155
Commentators assist the presider in providing direction during the celebration of the Mass. Lectors take part in the entrance procession with the presider and proclaim the first and second readings. Archdiocesan training is required for participation in these ministries. Any adult Catholic in good standing is eligible. Check the bulletin or website for scheduled class times. Schedules are producing bi-monthly to coordinate commentators/lectors schedules.
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
Mike Cousin email@example.com
The Archdiocese of New Orleans offers training for those individuals interested in serving their parish with the distribution of Holy Communion. All Extraordinary Ministers must be delegated by the Archdiocese of New Orleans. Training sessions are held throughout the year. Those interested are required to be in good standing with their Catholic faith and need to get approval from the pastor to attend. Once delegated you can move into rotation for the distribution of Holy Communion in your parish at Mass or in homebound/hospital ministry. The Eucharistic Minister coordinator will assist you in scheduling your Mass participation. And if interested home bound and/or hospital ministries.
Periodically Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion require re-delegation. Look for announcements at Mass or in the Bulletin for training sessions.
Coordinate all ministries involved in presenting Mass. Candidates must be able to be familiar with all the aspects of the Mass from “set-up” to assisting during Mass and “clean-up” after the Mass. They assist /direct altar servers in their roles of the Mass. Candidates require parish training. If you are interested please contact the Liturgical Coordinator Director.
Liturgy Screen Projection Operators
Holly Morales 985-626-7732
Volunteers are needed to operate the computer for the overhead screen projection during Mass in the Chotin Center. It is easy to do; a brief run-through will have you trained in a flash. All adults and high school students are welcome. High School students can get service hours for their service. The coordinator will help you schedule your Mass time and your rotation for service.
Our Lady of the Lake Roman Catholic Church presently has four choirs and a vibrant Cantor and Accompanist ministry leading the music at six Masses every weekend. Any questions regarding the overall music ministry may be directed to Sharon Smode, Our Lady of the Lake Music Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 985-626-5671, ext. 102.
- Traditional Adult Choir: The Traditional Adult Choir sings at Masses in the church on various weekends throughout the year. Their repertoire includes a variety of music from Latin to contemporary. The Traditional Choir has traveled extensively throughout the world on pilgrimages. They present a program of Christmas music prior toMidnight Mass as well as providing music for all Holy Week services, Masses for Holy Days of Obligation and other special parish Masses. While reading music is an asset, it is not necessary. Rehearsals are held Wednesday evenings at 6:30 PM in the Parish Life Center, with the exception of June and July.
- Contemporary Adult Choir: The Contemporary Adult Choir sings at the 10:30 AM Mass in the Chotin Center. This group consists of several trained and in some cases, degreed vocalists accompanied by guitar, piano and percussion. This group’s style of music is Praise and Worship. If you are interested in joining this group, please contact group leader, Brian Bagur or Sharon Smode at email@example.com. Due to the small size of this group, all interested musicians must be willing to interview and audition whether interested in vocals or an instrument.
- OLL Children’s Choir: The OLL Children’s Choir is open to all children in grades 3 through 7. This group rehearses in the Parish Life Center on Wednesdays, from 2:30 PM until 3:30 PM. All children from our parish, regardless of school affiliation, are welcome.
- Schola: A Schola of adult, semi-professional singers has recently been started at OLL. This is a group that is tailored for the more proficient music reader and which concentrates on more difficult music.
- Handbell Choir: Our Lady of the Lake church also has a 3-octave set of Malmark Handbells. While our handbell choir has been inactive, we are exploring the possibility of starting this group again. This is a group that requires both the novice and the somewhat proficient music reader. A group leader is being sought for this group. If you think you are that person, please contact Sharon Smode.
- Cantor Ministry: Our Lady of the Lake Parish has a Cantor Ministry with trained, certified cantors who are familiar with the Catholic liturgy and their role within the liturgy. If you are interested in becoming a cantor, please contact Sharon Smode to schedule an interview and audition.
- Accompanist: If you are an organist or pianist interested in accompaniment duties in the music ministry, please contact Sharon Smode at the Parish Life Center. Accompanist positions require audition and references.
Greet Mass attendees and help attendees find seats in the Church and Chotin Center. Also assist in passing the collection baskets and coordinating the couple selected for the Offertory giving. Any member of the Our Lady of the Lake Church community is welcome to assist in this ministry. We do not have regular meetings, but you are asked to be at your Mass 15 minutes prior to start time. Interested parishioners should speak with an usher at the Mass they attend to offer to help.
Fran Dominique 504-812-7415 firstname.lastname@example.org
All parishioners are welcome for quiet meditation and prayer in our 24-hour perpetual chapel. The chapel was originally a shrine built outside the church in 1922 then enclosed in 1991 when it became a perpetual chapel. A volunteer staff mans the chapel hourly throughout the week. We are always interested in new adorers. If you are interested in a regular weekly hour please contact the coordinator. We also have a team of captains that coordinate different day parts and hours.
Disciples of Jesus and Mary
Shelley Gourgues 985-630-4786
The Disciples of Jesus and Mary are called to live in holiness and truth. The purpose of this ministry is to offer an on-going training program for growing spiritually and working effectively in the world. There are 2 phases to this program: Beginning Formation and Ongoing Formation. Join us in learning how to live our call to discipleship.
Holy Face of Jesus Devotion
JoAnn Fain 985-264-8683 email@example.com
The Holy Face of Jesus Devotion was started by a small group of Catholics in the 1980’s. We focus on spreading the rosary, the Brown Scapular and the Holy Face of Jesus Devotion. We meet the 1st Thursday of the month in the Parish Life Center from 7-9 PM for Fraternity and to say the rosary and Holy Face Devotion.
Third Order of Lay Carmelites
Cindi Manint 985-373-5563
If you are between the ages of 18 – 65, have a desire for prayer and meditation, and wish to live out your Baptismal promises in Community with others, you may have a calling to a Carmelite vocation. Let Our Lady of Mt. Carmel guide you in discerning whether or not Carmel is for you. We meet the 2nd Thursday of every month at the Archdiocese of New Orleans North shore office.
Rosa Mystica Prayer Group for Priests
Cindy Garrett 985-892-6381 firstname.lastname@example.org
“It is said, the salvation or loss of thousands of souls can depend on the fidelity of a single priest.” All are welcome and encouraged to join us as we meet weekly to participate in a Marian Movement of Priests Prayer Cenacle in which we pray for priests, for their sanctification and constant growth in holiness and virtue, for seminarians, as well as for future vocations to the priesthood. In addition, our group mails out greeting cards to priests serving in the Archdiocese, to express our appreciation and thanks for their dedication and self-sacrificing efforts in serving us through their priesthood, and to seminarians, as a means of encouragement and support. Please join us for prayers on Wednesday mornings in Church after the 9AM Mass.
Tuesday Morning Scriptural Rosary Group
Cindy Garrett 985-892-6381 email@example.com
As Pope St. John XXIII has said, “The Rosary is a magnificent and universal prayer for the needs of the Church, the nations and the entire world”. Please join us in Church immediately following the 9AM Mass each Tuesday morning as our group gathers together to pray the scriptural rosary and other intercessory prayers. The scriptural rosary combines the recitation of the rosary with different scripture passages which are read before each Hail Mary. This rosary meditation offers a deeper contemplation of the life of Christ. “Among all the devotions approved by the Church none has been so favored by so many miracles as the devotion of the Most Holy Rosary”, Pope Pius IX.
Wednesday Night Prayer Group
Linda Kelley 985-630-6045 firstname.lastname@example.org
All are welcome to join our Charismatic Prayer group as we pray, praise and worship our Lord. The Catholic Charismatic Renewal is a movement of God’s Holy Spirit. Catholics at Our Lady of the Lake and around the world are experiencing the outpouring of God’s power, His loving presence and the manifestation of the charismatic gifts that contribute to the building of the body of Christ. We meet Wednesdays from 6:30 PM till 8PM in the Our Lady of the Lake Church.